Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mobsters on VHS

Back near the beginning of this journey, I watched Mobsters via Amazon streaming video. Not long afterward, though, I heard that the VHS version included footage that hadn't made it to the DVD cut for some reason. I was curious about the missing scenes for two reasons.

The first was that I'd heard Richard say in an interview, I believe on Steve Benz's The Blend, that Mobsters had been conceived as a much longer movie and that they'd filmed quite a bit more than actually made it to the big screen.

The second was that I'd read specifically that the scene in which Richard Grieco removes a woman's dress with an ice pick was considerably extended in the VHS version, and I thought that might be kind of hot was curious about how that would compare with the straight razor scene in Sexual Predator.

Bottom line: I didn't see anything new that made a big impression on me. If you've already seen the DVD version, I don't think there's anything in the VHS to warrant going out looking for it (and that includes the infamous ice pick scene.

I did like this movie, but as far as I could see the two cuts were pretty interchangeable. It's possible that if you're Serious About Film you'd catch differences that I didn't (and care about them), but for the average viewer it just didn't make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment