Friday, August 9, 2013

Absolution - Maybe Not So Much

Possibly I should have known, when I paid $5.90 for this movie, that it wasn't going to be the best Richard Grieco movie I'd ever seen, but sometimes there are hidden gems in those forgotten archives. The fact that it had a 3.1 IMDB rating gave me a little more pause, particularly since that rating was bolstered by the 18-29 year old male category (almost certainly because Jaime Pressly gets naked). More than 30% of users rating the film gave it a 1. Though I'm sure that's far from unheard of, I don't recall ever having seen quite such a preponderance of single-star ratings before.

I'm not going to go so far as to say this movie was a 1, but I didn't finish it. And, you may recall, I went on and finished Against the Law. Most of the screen time in this movie went to the younger generation--specifically, to a handful of young male "cadets" who didn't seem to get fully dressed very often. They didn't do a whole lot for me, though, and apparently I wasn't alone--women gave this film an average of 1.8 stars.

Though Grieco's role was significant, we didn't see nearly as much of him as we did Mario Lopez and his scantily-clad squadron. And, Richard's character (the despotic and possibly somewhat crazy commanding officer) was a bit over the top, barking and shouting more than he spoke.

I'm slowly working my way through Richard's whole catalog, but I can't in good faith recommend this one--unless you happen to be an 18-29 year old male, in which case you'll probably find it mediocre.


No comments:

Post a Comment