Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's Perfectly Normal to Have a Crush on a Fictional Character from the 80s


I've always said that I didn't understand boredom.  If ever I had a free moment, there was a long list of things I'd like to do waiting in the wings. Of course, that assumed that I'd be able to do them.

It's nearly 3 a.m., but I'm wide awake. I've been off work for nearly three months and learned a few days ago that it's going to be at least two more before I can return to normal.  Nearly half a year lost to whatever is growing where it doesn't belong inside my body.

I've had some big problems:  I've had no income for three months; I've had problems with my medical insurance; my car broke down and with no income in the foreseeable future, I'm afraid to spend the money to get it fixed.  All along I've said, and believed, that things could be a lot worse.

No more.

Tonight, I've hit rock bottom.  Tonight, I'm sitting up alone watching 21 Jump Street on purpose.

I've never been much of a television viewer and I was a little too old for the Johnny Depp craze in the late 80s, so I'd never seen the show until recently.  I bought it for my teenage daughter, a big Depp fan, almost as a joke. She loved it, but we agreed that it was one of the worst-written shows we'd ever seen, laughing out loud at the abrupt, unexplained changes in back story and unmentioned disappearances of major characters.

She watched much of it in her bedroom, so my viewing was spotty and for the first couple of seasons, that was fine with me.  Then, Season 3 rolled around.  If you were a fan of the show the first time around, you probably know what happened.  In case, like me, you weren't watching, it was basically this:
 
 
I know, I know.  In real life, Richard Grieco is a little older than I am.  In this old footage, he's just a little older than my son.  On top of that, I never found the guy (whom I didn't know was IN 21 Jump Street until last week) attractive back in his hayday.  He always kind of looked to me like he was wearing make-up, and his eyebrows really popped in a way that distracted me from his obvious physical perfection made them the first thing I noticed about his face.  On top of all that, I've just never been the fangirl type.
 
So pay no attention to the fact that I've stolen my teenage daughter's DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment